The making of Suvarna Soudha at Belgaum
In 2007 Kumarswamy had laid the foundation stone for the Suvarna Soudha at Vaccine Depot in a hurry and later due to pressure from the public the venue was shifted to the present Halga-Bastwad village, B.S. Yediyurappa was then the Dy Chief minister. The Halga Bastwad site, was chosen as it would not have any security problems. Demolition of buildings, acquisition of prime land for widening of Tilakwadi Road or felling of hundreds of trees at the Vaccine Depot could be avoided. This was the only lung space and was a walkers’ paradise in the heart of the city.
On January 22, 2009 the foundation stone was laid at the current site of Halga Vbastwad by the then Chief Minister B.S. Yeddurappa.
When the project was initiated in 2009 the estimated cost was set to be Rs 250.65 crore and later it was revised to Rs.350 crore as the built up area was increased by 3520 sq mtrs. And then later the cost shot up to 410 crores.
The Suvarna Soudha which had to be completed by January 2011, but it could not be completed as per schedule and is now completed August 2012. B G Shirke Group from Pune was awarded the contract of building the same.
There were many postponements sighting many reasons and at last the same has been completed in September 2012, when it was supposed to finish work within 18 months from the date of commencement.
Details of the Project :
FLOORS BUILT-UP AREA
(-) 2 Level of Ground Floor 5406 Sqm
Ground Floor– 12011 Sqm
First Floor– 13438 Sqm
Second floor –97414 Sqm
Third Floor –12055 Sqm
Total –52624 Sqm
Size of building 150.47m x 107.25 m
Central Big dome 01 No
Small Domes 06 Nos
The details of the events of the project are as follows :
1. Technical sanction to the estimate for Rs.230 Crores was accorded on 27.04.2009.
2. Technical bids opened on 11-06-2009.
3. The financial bids opened on 11-06-2009.
4. Cabinet approval to the financial bid was accorded on 25-06-2009.
5. Work awarded to the agency- M/s. B.G. Shirke Construction Technology Pvt. Ltd.,
6. Date of agreement with the Agency 08-07-2009.
7. Date of work order to Agency 09-07-2009.
8. Date of Handing over of site to the Agency 10-07-2009.
9. Stipulated time period for Construction 18 months
The Suvarna Soudha will now be inaugurated by Hon President of India Pranab Mukherjee on October 11, 2012 at 1.30 pm. Later he will address the joint session of the state and then the special session would end at 4.30pm. The Suvarna Soudha Belgaum will host the Winter session of the Karnataka state legislature every year.