Here is the link to the Belgaum district’s profile made by the state govt. for the global investors meet being held today and tomorrow in Bangalore.
Under Investment destinations all cities have been placed and here is what is said about Belgaum.
Belgaum acts as a trade c entre for food grains sugarcane, cotton, tobacco, oilseed, and milk products . Well known in the country for Foundaries and Hydraulic equipments . Rich in Mineral resources –
Bauxalite, Silica sand, Aluminium laterite, Lime stone, Dolomite, Quartzite, China Clay and Moulding Sand .
ECONOMY & INDUSTRIAL PROFILE
Agriculture is the main resource of the district and Agro and Food Processing Sectors are prominent for investment .
• Sericulture is gaining prominence in the district with nearly 481.90 hectares under Mulberry cultivation
• Rich Deposits of Bauxite are found in Belgaum and this has led to the creation of Aluminum industries
• Uranium deposits have been found in Deshnur, a village in Belgaum
• Belgaum has been an important center for manufacture of heavy machine tools and high pressure oil hydraulics
• The geographical advantage of Bangalore, Mumbai and Pune being nearby has led to a major support of Automobile and Aerospace Industries
• There are 26 Large & Medium Industries with an investment of Rs. 1932.53 crore
• India’s first notified precision engineering SEZ was launched in the district by
Campbell Knitwear Limited
GMR Industries Ltd
Hindustan Latex Limited
Indian Aluminum Company
• The district has 4 engineering & 2 medical colleges.
• Ten polytechnics exist in the district
• List of prominent Educational Institutions are :
• J. N. Medical College (physiotherapy)
• Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College g
• K. L. E Society’s College of Engineering
• SJPN Trust’s Rural Engineering College
• SNM Rural Engineering College
• Hirasugar Rural Engineering College
• KRCE Society’s Law College
• K. L. E Society’s BVBellad Law College
• A M Sheikh Homoeopathic Medical College
• Bharatesh Homoeopathic M di l C ll
• K. L. E. Society’s J. N. Medical College
Read the complete profile on the link given above.
Under the transportation section there is mention about Airport
Besides Belgaum airport, the nearest airport is Hubli airport. (Never understood what this means)
to a lay man it means both the airports are running commercial flights whereas that is not the truth, only Hubli is operational.
Under education, no mention of the VTU is made nor GIT all medical colleges with more emphasis to the KLE’s colleges is seen.