Belgaum is connected by road via the National Highway 4 Now called AH47 (connecting Maharashtra[ Now part of the Golden Quadrilateral], Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu) and NH-4A (connecting Karnataka and Goa).
There are a number of Bus operators plying between a) Mumbai – Belgaum b) Pune – Belgaum c) Bangalore – Belgaum d) Hyderabad – Belgaum.
Some of the prominent bus operators are – VRL (Vijayanand Road Lines), Pai Travels, Barde Travels, PVG, Paulo Travels, ShantaDurga Travels, Sugama,Durgamba, NWKRTC
See NWKRTC time table here
Belgaum is on the main Indian Railways grid being part of Hubli-Division and is well connected by rail to major destinations such as Bangalore (via Hubli), Mumbai, Pune/Delhi (via Miraj) and Goa.
See Train timings here
Getting around in the city
Belgaum hast city bus connectivity and also for the rural area around Belgaum , the charges are nominal around Rs 10 from one end to the other part of the city . Private and Gov’t Buses also provide transport for commuting between Hubli , Dharwad , Goa , and other nearby places .
This is a better way of transport between places in the city. Though not metered always it would be wise to ask the approximate amount from a local. Bargain hard before you sit in the auto. There is no Minimum fare so they might start from Rs.25-30. Bargain atleast Rs.20 Less when the Auto Driver asks for a Fare in excess of Rs.50 so that you can settle for atleast Rs.10 less.
There are no Taxis plying, Normally, Taxis are not needed unless you plan to go way out of the city. If you want to move around in City, Autos and Buses are good enough. In Belgaum Taxis are referred to as Car rentals often.
There are many rental companies offering cars with drivers or self drive. All hotels will help you in getting one.
Sight Seeing/Tourist Attractions
Eat & Drink
Eating in Belgaum will always be good, you can find all types of food from Maharashtrain, Savaji, Italian, Chinese to Chats.
- The cuisine also has a mixed flavour of central(Marathi)and north Indian flavours. This would be the place to try Chats and other Maharashtrian delicacies in Karnataka.
- Niyaz Hotel for its non-vegetarian dishes but they tend to get repeatative.
- Hotel Zaika is recent addition since last year and serves vey good Non-Vegetarian meals and all dishes have their distinct flavour. Biryani is the best in the town including the quality of Rice. Service is a bit delayed and quantity need to be spruced up. But the place is worth visiting.
- Ajanta cafe is excellent for its Puri Bhaaji, Dosa’s and Spl Chai.
- Aadinarayan, Kirloskar Road (Bogar ves) & Only Fish – Famous for Fish
If you are Tea lover then you should visit appolo tea bar near central Bus Stand.
- AND DON’T MISS BELGAUM SPECIAL SWEET “KUNDA”.
- Solkadi a drink made from Kokam fruits is also a Goan import goes well with fish.
- Pav Bhaji from Shetty Snacks.
- Dhabeli from Sharma hotel.
- Tea from Hotel Highway.
- Sugarcane Juice with Aliphak from a Sheetal Ranswanti Grih on congress road.
- Misal Pav
- Kaanda bhajji
- Vada Pav
- Halwa Bun
- Misal from himalaya Tea house near Radio complex
Rawool Ka Fried Rice, AMBIKA ki Pani Puri, NEW GRAND ki Puri Bhaji, Swamy ka Pizza, SUKHIki Chai, MOHANLAL ke Pastries, Balu ka Vada Pav, AMRAPALI ki Ice Cream, ROYAL ka Mango Milk Shake, COOL TOP ki Lassi, DAATU ka Pan, Samadevi Galli ki Mancuri, GREENS ki Chilled Beer, SUN N SAND ka Reshmi Kabab, NIYAZ ki Dum Biryani, PUROHIT ka KUNDA, SAMADHANki Pav Bhaji, Paratha Corner ka Pratha, Only Fish ka Fish, KHYBER ki chicken chilly AJANTA ka Dosa, Prakash ki Mutton Thali, Adinarayan ki Fish curry, MUTHU ke Kabab, Top in town(terrace) ka cheese cherry pineapple, Himalaya ki bread Bhaji aur Sheetal ya SANT ka Ali Paak.
There are many good hotels in town with reasonable rates.
Hotel Eefa on Club road
Hotel Shankham, PB Road
Hotel Adarsh Palace and Hotel Sanman on College Road
Hotel Anupam near Radio Complex, Goans favourite
New Uday Bhavan on Khanapur Road Tilakwadi
Ajanta Elite RPD cross
Hotel Ramdev and a host of other hotels near JNMC.
Languages Spoken : Kannada, Hindi, English, Marathi.
- Population : 3,99,653 (2001)
- City Area : 94 Sq. Km
- No. of Wards : 58 Nos.
- Summer Temp : 25°C-40°C
- Winter Temp :18°C-26°C
- Coordinates – 15° 33′ 0″ N, 74° 21′ 0″ E
Belgaum is a shoppers paradise, it is the favorite shopping destination of the Goans. You can shop here for Belgaum Sarees in Shahpur area.
Still have a Question in mind ask [email protected]