Belgaum Native General Library (now called Sarvajanik Vaachnalaya Belagavi)was established in 1848 by the then collector M.J.D.Invararity. This is heralded as the first library started in Karnataka state. The clock tower on the Library which still stands tall, was built later(1930-35). The clock tower is now a landmark monument in Belagavi and its pride, situated in the heart of the city, Ganpat Galli.
It once boasted of a sizable collection of English, Marathi & Gujrati Books. More importantly, it had people with adequate time and dedication to partake the rich treasure of information and tales from around the globe.
1848 – The Belgaum Native General Library
21-07-1907 – The General Library Belgaum
13-03-1921 – Sarvajanik Vaachnalaya Belgaum
After 1921 it was planned to renovate the building and the actual renovation of construction of the new building began in 1925 and got completed in 1935. All the money required was raised by way of donations ranging from Rs.5 to 1000 each.
The Belgaum Nagar Palika (Town Panchayat) Alloted Rs.1500 for the tower. The initial plan of the building was prepared by Shri.Shashital and then Shri.Dharwadkar made a few changes. The new building with the clock tower was ready in 1935 as per records.
The clock tower is completely mechanical and needs the key to be wound once in 48 hours.
For more photos see our Facebook Page