People are often seen complaining about the increasing traffic and blaming the traffic police for the mayhem. But has anybody strictly followed the traffic rules till date. Ask one, the reply is a straight no.
The traffic system in Belagavi City is in a pathetic condition, especially after the closure of the British Era Railway over bridge, scenes of chaos are a daily affair on Congress road and Kapileshwar Over bridge.
There were messages we received, was stuck in the jam, took me 40 mins from 1st gate to Military Mahadev. Crossing the Kapileshwar RoB and getting stuck at Shani mandir for 20 mins is common sight.
Traffic sense does not prevail in the minds of any one be it residents or concerned enforcing authorities. Innumerable cases of violations can be found almost at every nook and corner of the city. Traffic rules are being completely neglected and violated in many ways.
With the closure of entrances to many cross roads, riders could be seen coming on the wrong side and not only two wheeler but even trucks and luxury buses take pride in driving wrong side and just trying to save that little fuel or time, God knows.
A new message is making the rounds on Whatssapp,
Belagavi Tourism is organising a trip to four destinations – CBT to Tilakwadi, Vadagaon, Kapilesgwar Shani mandir, Bhaji market and CBT. It is a 4 day 3 nights package called ‘Chaar Jam Yatra’.
Overtaking from the left , crossing the guarded railway gate when train is about to arrive, escaping the traffic signal, exceeding the speed limit, etc. Even worse, youngsters are often seen with their acrobatics on bike, sometimes they drink and drive cars and bikes. College going students often drive bikes in a Zigzag manner. They compete on the roads as well as highways ending up in accidents. Trucks all over the city creating huge traffic which is unwarranted but the same is not controlled.
The young bikers, autos are the most chaotic sometimes and they are always in hurry may be any time of the day. They just want go through left or right is not their concern. One more new rage on the road is, the person who has a louder voice is the one who is following the rules. Small accidents in bumper to bumper traffic is a common scene.
Surely the traffic management is the key but if each one sticks to some key traffic rules many of those jams could be averted.
- Keep on your left, allowing the vehicles from the opposite direction to pass.
- Give way to traffic on your right, especially at road junctions and round about.
- While turning either left or right, give way to vehicles going straight.
- While turning left, keep to the left side and turn close to the left side of the road to which you enter.
- Slow down at the junctions, intersections and pedestrian crossings. Also slow down near school zones, temple areas etc., where a lot of pedestrians and vehicle traffic move.
- Give signals before you make any maneuver, indicating your intention, so that the other road users can adjust accordingly.
- Always use a helmet if on a two-wheeler and always check that the strap is fixed properly.
- Stick to the given speed limit and remember that speed limit is related to the traffic condition.
- Keep enough distance from the vehicle ahead to avoid collision.
- At junctions or intersections, never park the vehicle beyond the stop line.
- At pedestrian crossings always remember that the pedestrian has the right of way.
- At the signal, do not stop your vehicle on the Pedestrian Crossing.
- Two-wheelers are meant only for two. Third person is not allowed, even children.
- Do not start your vehicle on the amber light. Wait for the light to turn green.
- Overtake only from the right side of a vehicle. Never overtake on bridges, narrow roads, junctions, school zones and pedestrian crossings.
- Do not drive in a zigzag manner.
It’s a primary responsibility of the person riding/driving vehicle to follow traffic rules, good attitude and certain driving discipline such as good maintenance of vehicle, wearing helmet, seat belts, avoiding overtaking, respect pedestrians etc.
Getting back to family every single day without an injury is one’s gift and service to loved ones. “ Char Jam Yatra can be avoided if we follow rules.”