The State Government awarded the contract to Shirke group to construct Suvarna Soudha in July 2009, the project was estimated to cost Rs 230 crore, including the land acquisition cost. But in a span of just 14 months, the cost has shot up to Rs 410 crore. The cost escalation is despite the work progressing as per the schedule. The project is scheduled to be completed by January 2011.
The Detailed Project Report (DPR) that was prepared initially did not include cost for providing amenities like power, water, landscaping, installation of CCTVs, elevators, furnishing and external lighting. Hence, escalation of the project cost.
Construction of Assembly, Council and Cabinet Halls are almost complete and will be ready to hold the session in December this year. The contractor has been directed to install an elevator by December for the proposed session.
The details of structure & accommodation made in the building are as follows:
FLOORS BUILT-UP AREA
(-) 2 Level of Ground Floor 5406 Sqm
Ground Floor 12011 Sqm
First Floor 13438 Sqm
Second floor 97414 Sqm
Third Floor 12055 Sqm
Total 52624 Sqm
Size of building 150.47m x 107.25 m
Central Big dome 01 No
Small Domes 06 Nos
The Government also has constituted a Technical Committee for selection of locally
avilable materials for construction of “ Suvarna Soudha” to provide the granite stone available
at Koira/Hesaragatta quarries for ornamental stone works.
The details of the events of the project are as follows :
1. Technical sanction to the estimate for Rs.230 Crores was accorded on 27.04.2009.
2. Technical bids opened on 11-06-2009.
3. The financial bids opened on 11-06-2009.
4. Cabinet approval to the financial bid was accorded on 25-06-2009.
5. Work awarded to the agency- M/s. B.G. Shirke Construction Technology Pvt. Ltd.,
6. Date of agreement with the Agency 08-07-2009.
7. Date of work order to Agency 09-07-2009.
8. Date of Handing over of site to the Agency 10-07-2009.
9. Stipulated time period for Construction 18 months
The project has been divided into two Milestones as follows:
First Milestone: Completion of Assembly & Council Halls in first 12 months.
Second Milestone : Completion of the entire project in the stipulated time period of 18 months.
Source: Deccan Herald & AAB inputs