Associates of RASTROTTHAN SANKALP Mr. Gangadhar Patil and Mr. Chetan G conducted a survey on 9th May 2009 in Belgaum. They took snaps of almost every case of violation.
Here is their report and the photos of traffic violations done by Belgaumites.
People are often seen complaining about the increasing traffic and blaming the traffic police for the mayhem. But has anybody strictly followed the traffic rules till date. Ask one, the reply is a straight no.
The traffic system in the Belgaum City is in a pathetic condition. People of Belgaum are mostly unaware of the traffic rules. Traffic sense does not prevail in the minds of any one be it residents or concerned enforcing authorities. Innumerable cases of violations can be found almost at every nook and corner of the city. Travelling on the main roads is not at all a safe option. Traffic rules are being completely neglected and violated in many ways. Rastrotthan sankalp took an initiative to look into this aspect in detail.
Riders could be seen coming on the wrong side, overtaking from the left , crossing the guarded railway gate when train is about to arrive, escaping the traffic signal, exceeding the speed limit, etc. Even worse, youngsters are often seen with their acrobatics on bike, sometimes they drink and drive cars and bikes. College Going students often drive bikes in a Zigzag manner. They compete on the roads as well as highways ending up in accidents. Trucks all over the city creating huge traffic. Unfortunately Belgaum is not properly connected by Ring Roads meant for the trucks. Trucks can be seen entering restricted areas, parked anywhere inside the city most of the times exceeding speed limit. In these circumstances, the traffic gets worse and accidents are bound to happen.
Following are the violations we could capture in the Belgaum city limits.
- Keep on your left, allowing the vehicles from the opposite direction to pass.
- Give way to traffic on your right, especially at road junctions and round about.
- While turning either left or right, give way to vehicles going straight.
- While turning left, keep to the left side and turn close to the left side of the road to which you enter.
- Slow down at the junctions, intersections and pedestrian crossings. Also slow down near school zones, temple areas etc., where a lot of pedestrians and vehicle traffic move. Give signals before you make any maneuver, indicating your intention, so that the other road users can adjust accordingly.
- Always use a helmet if on a two-wheeler and always check that the strap is fixed properly.
- Stick to the given speed limit and remember that speed limit is related to the traffic condition.
- Keep enough distance from the vehicle ahead to avoid collision.
- Yellow lines should not be crossed under any condition.
- At junctions or intersections, never park the vehicle beyond the stop line.
- At pedestrian crossings always remember that the pedestrian has the right of way.
- At the signal, do not stop your vehicle on the Pedestrian Crossing.
- Two-wheelers are meant only for two. Third person is not allowed, even children.
- Do not start your vehicle on the amber light. Wait for the light to turn green.
- Overtake only from the right side of a vehicle. Never overtake on bridges, narrow roads, junctions, school zones and pedestrian crossings.
- Do not drive in a zigzag manner.
8 thoughts on “Belgaum traffic nuisance – Rastrotthan sankalp investigates”
Great job done by RASTROTTHAN SANKALP team. But I am worried/concerened about why these educated citizens also violate the traffic rules 🙁
Can AAB team submit this report to Belgaum Police commissioner & request them to take strict actions in this regard & also display these Traffic Rules mentioned @ each traffic signal & public places for people awarness.
Thanks & regards,
Good idea we have already sent the report to the concerned authority.lets see how they react on it.
Good Survey and capture of Snap shots by Sankalp Team.Keep it up.
But we all as responsible citizens never ever care for road safety n Traffic rules.
Just a small observation; Before overtaking or changing the lane or taking a turn, most of us only display the signal but has anyone ever thought of glancing or having a look behind our vehicle (atleast in the rear view mirror)for one second or two for any approaching vehicle(s) behind us? But no most us will blindly turn or change the lane and shower a surprise of our act to the person/ vehicle behind us. Let all of us think on this and other suggestions from our friends to make our roads “SAFE” for driving.
Its nice to see our Belgaum MP is concerned of the infrastructure. Thus Sir I request you to do the needfull in this regard.
I dont guess Thats Suresh Angadi in Real some one is faking from Whitefield Bangalore
All this because of bad Infrasturcture….(Old roads and more vehicles) The only solution is to improve the roads by widening them…..!
what are you going to do about this mr MP. BJP is ruling in karnataka . 100 cr project where is that. i hope its going to be the same old way next time when i come to power i shall do it but i wont do it now as i am in power.
citezen of belgaum need to collect money and plan for the infrastructure. politicians can work on cricket matches their own buiseness.
i wanted to say more but i will stop here until i get a reply
Glad to see that our honorable MP is a netizen too!