The Department of Geology is one of the oldest departments started in 1964. The department is well known for its academic excellence in this part of the country. The alumni of the department have spread all over India. The department is active in Coastal Research of Uttara Kannada and Southern Maharashtra Coast, researches undertaken by Dr.P.T.Hanamgond through major research projects funded by DST, UGC & MoES; and has contributed many national & International publications by which the departments name is known internationally.
The department had a very good Geological Museum, which had collections of minerals, rocks, fossils and models of various geological processes. Many of the specimens were collected by staff and students by conducting study tours. Some required for syllabus are purchased. The department got a huge collection of beautiful Zeolites, rare and expensive minerals, rocks and fossils donated by Mr.M.F.Makki, a geology lover and promoter of Geology.
As a part of Golden Jubilee Year, the Geology Museum has been developed and named after the late president as “Bharat Ratna Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam Geology Museum”, and was inaugurated on 15th August 2015 at the hands of Mr.Makki, Pune.
The Museum has a collection of over 1500 specimen having a variety of beautiful minerals including fascinating Zeolites that include 160 donated by Mr.Makki; variety of ore minerals and industrial minerals; variety of Igneous-sedimentary and metamorphic rocks; variety of corals, variety of invertebrate & plant fossil specimen; various models & photographs of geological processes. It also has a collection of rock samples from Antarctica.
Type of specimen
The museum will be open for public and school students during college hours. On prior permission school & college students will be provided a guide to explain about the museum collection.
SKE Society was founded in 1944 in Sawantwadi and shifted to Belgaum in 1948. Then it was Rani Parvati Devi College of Arts & Science. Later under the supervision of a progressive management it was bifurcated in 1966 as Govindram Seksaria Science College and Rani Parvati Devi College of Arts.