To commemorate the journey of 75 years of Karnatak Law Society and Raja Lakhamgouda Law College is going to celebrate its Platinum Jubilee Celebration on 15th September 2018 at Belagavi.
His Excellency, The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovindji will be the Chief Guest and the Guests of honor will be Honorable Chief Justice of India (CJI) Mr. Dipak Misra and other Honorable Supreme Court Judges, Attorney General of India Shri K.K. Venugopal, His Excellency Governor of Karnataka, Shri. Vajubhai Vala, Honorable Chief Minister of Karnataka Shri. H.D.Kumaraswamy and Honorable High Court Judges.
The event will be held at the Gogte Institute of Technology, Udyambag Belagavi.
About KARNATAK LAW SOCIETY (Estd -1939)
More than three-quarters of a century ago, many eminent lawyers and visionaries from the North Karnataka region, who also happened to be leading lights in the Freedom Struggle, looked far ahead and decided that making legal education accessible to citizens of North Karnataka was a worthy goal, whatever the difficulty. Thus seven eminent lawyers – N. S. Shrikhande, V.A. Naik, V. D. Belvi, B. N. Datar, S. N. Angadi. R. Kotbagi, D. S. Paramaj – came together to form Karnatak Law Society in 1939 in Belagavi.
Shrimant Raja Lakhamgouda Sirdesai of Vantmuri trusted these Founder Members to be true to their vision and a Promissory Note totaling Rs. 1 Lakh was executed by him to support the application for opening a new Law College. Many of these founder members and other legal scholars from this region volunteered to teach at this College despite lucrative practice, and extensive personal and social commitments. Belagavi thus became a renowned education centre for Law education. Students from Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Maharashtra took admission and proved to be active in social, political and judicial fields.
• RAJA LAKHAMGOUDA LAW COLLEGE (1939)
In 1939 the college started functioning with only 37 students. It was a Glorious day in the infant life of the college when, the then Diwan of Mysore, Sir Mirza Ismail Formally Inaugurated the functioning the college in the new premises in 1940. The College was first housed in Doddannavar’s Bungalow at Belgaum Fort for during the second term in the academic year of 1938-39. It was later shifted to the magnificent palatial building of Anant Bhat in Tilakwadi from November 1939.
On account of selfless services of founder members of the society & other who served as Honorary Professors, a Lot of money was saved and out of these savings, the foundation stone for the Law College building was laid by Maharaja of Mysore in 1950 in the present premises of the Law College.
The first batch of Raja Lakhamgouda College started operating in 1939, graduated in 1941. Since then, more than 7500 students have passed through the hallowed portals of this esteemed institution. A few notables among the many luminaries that this college has produced include – Shri. E. S. Venkataramiah, Former Chief Justice of India, Shri. S. Rajendra Babu, Former Chief Justice of India & Chairman, National Human Rights Commission, .and Shri. K. K. Venugopal, Present Attorney General of India.
Today, Karnatak Law Society (KLS) has the distinction of running schools and colleges in the fields of Law, Commerce, Engineering and Management Education and all its Institutions have earned the reputation of being as leading institutions in Karnataka.
• Gogte College of Commerce (GCC)
The management was able to start in 1954 its Commerce College of which Late Wrangler P.S.Katti became the first Principal. The heavy responsibility of managing these colleges soon brought the society into financial difficulties (and the same difficulty was also faced by Law College) as a result of which several attempts were made to collect funds to meet the situation. Good luck would have it the Management approached Raosaheb B. M.Gogte noted industrialist of Karnataka & Maharashtra for donations he donated a sum of Rs 50,000/- to tide all over difficulties. In 1966 college was named after him, as “Gogte College of Commerce” and Raosaheb B.M.Gogte was made a Patron of the Society.
It was the first Commerce College in Belagavi. The College Library is one of the oldest libraries with a rich collection of books capable of the meeting, the changing needs of students. Prominent alumni from this institution include Shri. Hemant Joshi, Chief Financial Adviser to King of Bahrain; Shri. Aftab Patel, CEO, All Omania Financial Services; Shri.Shyamsundar Keshkamat, Commissioner of Income Tax, GOA; and Shri. Prabhakar Kore, MP, Rajya Sabha and others who are working in distinguished positions
In addition to Pre-university Commerce/Science programs and BCom programs, GCC’s MCom, BBA, and BCA departments meet the demands for excellent education in these fields in a manner that provides education at a reasonable cost and career outcomes that are of the highest order.
• Gogte Institute of Technology (GIT)
was established in the year 1979 for imparting advanced technical education to the students. Thanks to the Great philanthropist Raosaheb B. M.Gogte who again came to our rescue when the Society started its Engineering College in the year 1979. He gave a munificent donation of Rs. 10 Lakhs to the new Engineering College started by the Karnatak Law Society. It was named – “Gogte Institute of Technology”.
It was again among the first Engineering Colleges in Belagavi. The institute has resourceful and experienced faculties in the different departments. The institute has provided large number of placement to the students every year and number of students are being employed in the top most companies in India and abroad. In recognition of its outstanding performance academically, and administratively, GIT was awarded the prestigious “Autonomous Status” w.e.f. 2015-16.
In addition to BE programs, GIT’s MTech, MBA and MCA departments meet the requirement of world-class management and technical education programs, creating a conducive environment for learning and growth. Its ambiance provides a corporate feel for the future.
• The Institution of Management Education and Research (IMER), a B-School, was established in 1991 to cater to the burgeoning demand for Management Professionals. It has been awarded “A” Grade by NAAC, a Research Centre by its affiliating University, and 2(F) and 12 (B) recognition by UGC . In addition to producing top-notch MBAs, IMER is also active in the field of promoting entrepreneurship via an Incubation Centre.
• The Vasantrao Potdar Polytechnic (VPP) was established in the year 1992. The college has good placement records. Campus Interviews are conducted by top companies and our students have sought placements in companies like Wipro, Sapient, HCL, and IBM to name a few. Many of its students go on to also pursue Engineering degrees via lateral admissions.
• The KLS School was established in the year 2002. Centrally located in prime location of Belgaum, the school is efficiently administered to ensure that the child grows up with an integrated personality. It is a centre of academic excellence and its students regularly vie for rankings at the State Level. Furthermore, its students also excel in a broad array of activities such as Yoga, Skating, Athletics, Science Festivals, etc.
• The Vishwanathrao Deshpande Rural Institute of Technology, since renamed as Vishwanathrao Deshpande Institute of Technology (VDIT) was established in the year 2004 to provide technical education to the students of Haliyal, a rural area. Within a short span of a few years, VDIT has developed excellent infrastructural facilities and an academic climate to train the students to meet the rapidly changing techno-economic scenario. The Institute is located on a 26-acre campus, cradled by a picturesque landscape.
KLS established the PU-Science College in 2007 in Haliyal. In the May/June 2009 period, a BCA course was introduced in Haliyal.
The combination of these offerings in Haliyal marked an interesting foray in the history of KLS, whereby it was demonstrated that excellence in education offerings mattered more than location.
• The KLS Public School, a CBSE affiliated school, was established in the year 2011. The School is set in a lush green background away from the hustle and the bustle of the city. It spans over 11 acres amidst greenery and has a serene environment. KLS Public School is providing co-education from Kindergarten to XII Std.
KLS FAMILY – today is defined by:
• Staff strength of 1400 +
• Including Phds strength of 75+
• Student Strength of greater than 12000 +
• An alumni base of 50,000 +
• A management that facilitates the growth of its institutions and staff and students to a higher national purpose
A small beginning in 1939 has continued to yield personalities and minds that will continue to shape the destiny of this great country of ours via excellent educational offerings from Karnatak Law Society.
In the year 1989, Karntak Law Society and RL Law College together celebrated Golden Jubilee Year Celebrations.
KLS – Gogte College of Commerce popularly known as GCC, also celebrated its Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2006. This was inaugurated by Honourable Shri. P. Chidambaram, Former Minister for Finance, Government of India. The other dignitaries who participated in the Celebrations including Mr. Sachin Pilot, Honorable Member of Parliament.
Another flagship institution of KLS is Gogte Institute of Technology (GIT), celebrated its Silver Jubilee Celebrations in 2008 from October 23rd to 25th. His Holiness Shri Vishwasha Tertha Swamiji of Pejavara Adhokshaja Matha has inaugurated the function. Former Leader of Opposition, Loksabha & Former Deputy Prime Minister Shri L. K. Advani was invited as a Chief Guest & Former Chief Minister of Karnataka Shri B.S.Yedyurappa and many central and state ministers of the Government were present. Former Union Minister Shri Prafull Patel and Present Revenue Minister Shri R.V.Deshapnde were invited to grace the valedictory function of Silver Jubilee Celebration.
KLS – Institute of Management Education and Research, popularly known as IMER and KLS – Vasant Rao Potdar Polytechnic (VPP) have recently completed 25 years of its journey in serving the selfless service in the field of Management studies and Diploma.