Property owners in the Tilakwadi area of Belagavi, specifically in Somwar Peth, Mangalwar Peth, Budhwar Peth, Shukurwar Peth, Roy Road, Nehru Road, Maharshi Road, and Ranade Road, have recently discovered that their Municipal extracts now bear the mention of “Municipality” instead of their own names. This unexpected change has left them shocked and concerned about the ownership of their properties, reports the Sakal Daily.
Typically, the Municipal extract includes the name of the property owner. However, for the past six months, all property owners in these areas have received extracts with the word “Municipality” in place of their names. This implies that the properties now belong to the Belagavi City Corporation, the local municipality. The Sakal has reported this exclusive story, providing further details on the matter.
All are lessees and the municipality is the owner of the land
According to the extract, the original ownership of these properties lies with the Municipal Corporation. Consequently, if an owner wishes to sell their property, they must obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the city corporation. When questioned about this issue, the corporation confirmed that the ownership rights of the assets, properties, and land in Tilakwadi belong to them.
In the aforementioned areas, the land was initially leased by the Belgaum Municipality during British Rule. The municipality, established in 1930, leased the land for a period of 30 years. However, after India gained independence in 1947, the municipality failed to take possession of the land, resulting in the properties remaining with the individuals who had possession at that time. Nevertheless, the Belagavi City Corporation asserts that the ownership rights of the municipality still apply to these properties.
Despite the municipality’s claim, the Land Records Department has refused to change the name to “Municipality.” Consequently, the Belagavi City Corporation now
Source: The Sakal Daily