In the recent budget presented for the state, A 5 years scheme with an outlay of Rs.25 crores was announced for the implemention of Bel-Trac in Belagavi for the improvement of traffic system.
Here is Concept note to the same:
In order to provide for an efficient traffic management system for the city of Belagavi, the Belagavi City Traffic Police are proposing to develop a Traffic Improvement Project to manage the ever-growing traffic needs of the city. The project has an operational plan that has earmarked funds and various identified activities. The primary agenda is to implement Information and Communication Tools (ICT) in the day-today operations of the department.
The objectives of the Project are two-fold:
Achieve substantial compliance of traffic laws and rules
Set up an efficient Trauma Care Centre
- Coordinated traffic management institutionalizing Traffic Task Force, Road Safety Committee, and Traffic Action Committee, etc.
- Reduce traffic congestion by 30% in the Central Business District (CBD)
- Reduce accidents by 30% in the city
- Achieve significant reduction in pollution
- Robust Revenue Model (a part of the proceeds of traffic funds to pay for traffic management infrastructure and maintenance)
- Legal and Institutional reforms
- Capacity-Building (setting up of Traffic Training Institute etc.)
- Strengthening of traffic police by augmenting officers and staff
- Improved communication and mobility
- The salient features of the Project are as follows:-
Creating appropriate infrastructure for central hub and perform capacity buildup at police stations
Creating mobile governance infrastructure for field level communication and tracking
- Development of a secured mobile network using EDGE/GPRS
- Distributing multi-purpose handheld devices and printers for recording traffic violations online Training traffic personnel in using these devices
- Developing tools required for managing traffic in a systematic manner at junctions
- Transmitting real-time information to the commuters by the use of Variable Messaging Service (VMS) facility
- Replacing the paper-based challan system with the new blackberry-based challan and receipt generation system, thus saving time and going green
- Aligning the IT systems and the information generated through it with administrative procedures
- Educating the personnel at various levels on the level of accountability
Components of the Project
Intelligent Transportation System
The term intelligent transportation system includes information and communications technology used to transport infrastructure and vehicles. Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) are a collection of wide-ranging technologies that are brought together to make traffic management more “intelligent”. Components of ITS include real-time traffic information, instant control of traffic signals, variable message signs, information processing, transit signal priority and fire preemption.
This is an effort to manage factors that typically are at odds with each other, such as vehicles, roads, and routes to improve safety and reduce vehicle wear, travel times and fuel consumption.
Traffic Management Center:
The Traffic Management Center (TMC) is the hub of the transportation management system, where information about the transportation network is collected and combined with other operational and control data to manage the transportation network and to produce traveler information. It integrates the following components:-
- Traffic signals – Receiving real time information/data
- Surveillance camera – Beaming live images
- Enforcement camera – Recording and beaming traffic violation data
- VMS – to give real time traffic information to public
Automated Signaling System:
- Signals centrally controlled from Traffic Management Center with high-end software application providing sophisticated GUI for monitoring and managing of signals
- Malfunctioning of signals automatically reported and tracked
- Hybrid signals work on solar and conventional energy
Pedestrian-controlled Signal Lights
Pedestrian-controlled traffic signals or pelican crossings are a common installation at street crossings in many countries. The signal, which allows pedestrians to cross a road, requires people to press a button and wait for a few minutes for the light to turn red and stop oncoming traffic
Variable Message System Variable Message Signs are programmable traffic control devices that display messages composed of letters, pre-defined symbols or graphics to the road users. They are commonly installed on full-span overhead sign bridges, post-mounted on roadway shoulders, and overhead cantilever structures. The information is most often displayed in real-time and can be controlled either from a remote centralized location or locally at the site.
Surveillance/Monitoring and Enforcement Systems
Surveillance Cameras Traffic law, if it is to stay relevant to the needs of the people, needs to be updated periodically and the traffic police need to be capable of enforcing it. Surveillance cameras essentially provide a bird’s eye view of the traffic situation. These cameras can also be used to monitor any unforeseen situation at any location such as major accidents, traffic disruption due to “sit-in” or any security considerations. Appropriate immediate action can then be taken by the traffic police.
The Enforcement or Red Light Violation Detection (RLVD) Cameras are installed primarily to capture two key violations i.e. over speeding and red signal light jumping. The camera uses Digital Technology to capture images of offending vehicles.
Automation Enforcement and Challaning System
It is thought of using latest technology to better the enforcement, hence the adoption of cameras to which SIM cards can also be inserted. These devices would be used to capture violations from the field and data will be transferred directly from the camera to the TMC and enforcement challans will be generated and dispatched to the violators. Also, through PDA hand held devices, traffic citations are recorded electronically using various resources formally known as e-challaning system.
Interceptors & Crash Labs: Interceptor is a system that comprises an appropriate vehicle platform, enforcement equipment and accessories duly customized, most of it specially developed for on-board durability and tropicalized for performance on Indian roads.
Alcometers analyses the presence of alcohol from one’s breath and saliva. It has to be analysed extensively by Police to curb drink and drive cases
Junction improvements will allow all traffic maneuvers like merging, diverging, crossing and weaving to make them safer and easier. The required turning radius and width of pavement has to be adequately provided. Depending on the traffic volume and road space available, the number of lanes required for each movement at the junction is ascertained. Though a traffic lane should be 3.5 meters wide, depending on the road width, the lane widths may be reduced up to 3 meters. There are a large number of factors which reduce the saturation flows such as humps and rumble strips, gradients, temporary road width reduction due to isolated tree or parked auto or bus stand location, etc. and these must be adequately addressed.
To improve junction capacity, the pavement is sometimes widened at the mouth of the intersection, called flaring of the approach, by a traffic lane or increasing the lane width to maximum. Traffic Islands are introduced to channelize traffic. The radius of entrance and exit curves and the area are suitably designed to accommodate channelizing islands of proper size and shape.
Signage and Direction Boards Street furniture covers all types of traffic signs, direction signs, road name plates and other items fixed for the safety and convenience of the road users. For example, bollards and crash barriers are installed to protect pedestrians and motorists in the event of traffic accidents.
Road Marking Road markings are made of lines, patterns, words, symbols or reflectors on the pavement, curb sides of islands or on the fixed objects within or near the roadway. 5. Education, Training and Capacity Building a. Training Programmes
The approximate costs that would be incurred to provide Traffic Improvements for Belagavi City have been worked out, along with the consultancy charges for preparing Detailed Project Report.