Belief is the key to sustenance
It lays the grounds for larger dreams
And consequently for a purpose far beyond one initially ordained
The humble beginnings paved the way for the greater cause and the organization embraced larger geographies of responsibility. India was on the verge of attaining independence and the responsibility of subsequent nation building would only entail the creation of a larger intellectual capital. The KLE Society was poised for a metamorphosis, all in the best interests of the people in the region and the nation as a whole.
B V Bhoomaraddi College Hubli Estd 1947
Building on commitments, the KLE Society commenced efforts to establish an institution for Technical Education in 1946 with the commencement of Polytechnic courses at Gadag. Shri. Basappa Bhoomaraddi provided the much needed impetus to the initiative by donating a sum of Rs. 2,00,000 which enabled KLE to shift the technical courses to Hubli. The Engineering courses commenced at the institution in 1953 and the B V Bhoomraddi College of Engineering and Technology was born.
1963 is another landmark year in the history of KLE Society. Dr Jirge, Chairman KLE Society had initiated proceedings to establish a Medical College at Belgaum in 1959. Thanks to his efforts and the efforts of Society Chairman Dr Teggimani the long standing dream was realized. To begin with, the institution was housed in the Lingaraj College campus from 1963 to 1968. The B. Sc. Part-1 course leading to Medicine (PPL) was started in June 1963 in ‘KLE Society’s R. L. Science Institute’ with 121 students out of which 87 students successfully cleared the exams. On 1st June 1964 the 1st M.B.B.S. classes started at Lingaraj College campus. The successful 87 candidates along with 23 direct candidates constituted the first batch of 110 students. On 14th June 1966, the Society began the construction of what was then named as the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College and the institution was shifted to the new premises in 1967.
Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College Belgaum Estd 1963
1963 also saw the organization expand its horizons to the metropolitan region by establishing the S. Nijalingappa College at Bangalore.
Widening the scope of its services and catering to the needs of the population from the grass root levels to the metropolitan areas, the KLE Family continued to be proud torch bearers of the legacy of the founding fathers and their mission to transform lives through education.
The period between 1944 and 1984 was thus an era of consolidation. The Society added to its fold a wide range of institutions including schools, collegiate institutions, technical institutions, health sciences and law. While a majority of the institutions were in Karnataka, in both the rural and urban areas, it is also important to note that KLE Society had several educational institutions in Maharashtra. With 38 institutions under its fold, the organization ranked among the leading providers of education services in the region.
The seedling planted by the noble Saptarishis and their benevolent patrons had established firm roots and sprung branches that encompassed the needs of academic aspirants in the region and beyond. The unbridled quest for newer domains of learning ensured that the best and most diverse of learning opportunities were available in a region that still had more education seekers than the existing facilities could accommodate.
A noble beginning and a strong foot hold but the best was yet to come…..