By about 1818 AD. Belgaum(Now Belagavi) had become an army headquarters for the Southern Maratha region.
In that period, the general money transactions here were carried on in terms of Shahapuri rupees minted at Savantwadi. This was minted out of silver and other alloys.
In 1822, after Belgaum becoming the centre for pay office of the Government, it also became the centre for exchange of rupees of Madras, Bagalkot and Nasik mints. By about 1822, of the copper coins in circulation in this area, ‘Shahu paisa’ minted at Satara was in wide circulation and it was also called by name ‘duddu’. There were other coins also called ‘duddu’, which was also called shahi duddu or Kari (Black) duddu, Gatti duddu .
The lower denomination coins which were introduced by the British Government were one anna, chavali (two annas), pavali (four annas), ardharupai (8 annas) etc. They were minted in copper, nickle and silver.
The rupee was divided into 16 annas, one anna was divided into four duddus (1/ 4 annas) and one duddu was equal to three pais. Duddu was also called billi or bille. The billi with a small hole in the middle was called tutina billi.
Pai was also called damadi. The paper currency introduced by the British in 1862 were put into circulation in this district also. After independence all the coins, currencies contain the new national emblem replacing the marking of the emperor George VI. The decimal system of coinage was introduced from 1957 in the district.
Source : the Gazetteer