The rejuvenation of the 12 Pulley well at Hutatma Chowk (Bara Ghadghadyachi Vihir) which had begun in mid may is over and now even a water filter with a storage tank has been fitted and operational next to the well.
A similar water filter plant has been fitted on the Sheri Galli well.
In the older times, Bara Ghadghadyachi Vihir was one of the biggest source of potable water providing drinking water to the areas in the city. This well was exactly infront of the Kaveri Cold drinks currently.
Dr. M. Vishveshwarayya who designed the Rakaskop Scheme had mentioned in the Preamble to his report that “Belgaum water supply can be maintained by a chain of wells.”
Many wells in the recent past have been rejuvenated which has helped in the restoration of water supply in many areas.
A mini filter has been set up on many wells along with alum dozer, chlorinator, pumps, connection to existing network for supply of water.
The well at Veerbhadra Nagar was constructed by the British in 1908 and has a water column of 100 feet.The well at Shetty Galli was constructed by the British in 1885. The well is perfectly rectangular in shape and the dimension of the well is exactly the same both at the top and the bottom (in mm).
The well at Math Galli was constructed by the British in 1883. The Fire Station was located near this well. The well at Kirloskar Road is a high yielding open well centrally located in the city. The
Borough Municipality was supplying water from this well by constructing a small overhead tank.
The ‘Congress Well’, then known as ‘Pampa Sarovar’, was constructed in 1924 during the Congress Party’s historic convention which was presided over by Mahatma Gandhi.
Cost of construction of the well at that time was Rs. 4370 and 3 annas. This well supplied water to lakhs of people who had assembled for the Convention.
High yielding wells
1. Open well at Veerbhadranagar.
2. Open well at Goods shed Road Shastrinagar.
3. Open well at Congress Road.
4. Open well at Shetty galli.
5. Open well at Kirloskar Road.
6. Open well at Shivaji Garden, Shahapur.
7. Open well at Math galli.
8. Open well at Nazar camp, Vadgaon.
09. Open well at Rayat galli, Vadgaon.
10. Open well at Polytechnic premises Kakatives.
11. Open well at Darga premises Kamat galli.
12. Open well at Khanjar galli.
13. Open well at Kasai galli.
14. Open well at Joshi Mala.
15. Open well at Teggin galli, Vadgaon.
16. Open well at Konwal Galli.
17. Open well at Samartha Nagar.
18. Open well at PWD Quarters.
19. Open well at Alwan Galli.