Aimed at creating health awareness among the citizens of Belagavi region and organised with a charitable cause, the second edition of Belagavi Half Marathon was held successfully on Sunday, September 29. Jointly organised by the Lakeview Foundation and Rotary Club of Venugram, a record 3500 runners took part in the event that received and overwhelming response from the citizens from all walks of life. Sporting special T shirts and running BIBS runners commenced gathering at the C Ped ground from the wee hours of Sunday. Regenta Resorts was the main sponsor of the event.
Major General Alok Kakkar , Commanding Officer of the Junior Leaders Wing of the Indian Army will flagged off the first batch of marathoners at 6 am for the 21 kms category. Later the 10 km, 5 km and fun run categories were flagged off by former India cricketers Venkatesh Prasad, Sunil Joshi and Srinivas Murthy, accompanied by police commissioner B S Lokeshkumar , Z P CEO Dr Rajendra Prasad, KSRP Commandant Humja Hussein, AEQUS and other senior officials from various departments were present.
Runners, belonging to the 21 and 10 kms categories went along Hanuman Nagar, Hindalga Ganesh Temple; and passed through lush green Cantonment area such has Sharquat Park, MLIRC, Parade Ground, Commando Training Area etc. Large contingents of various armed forces comprising of Army, Air Force and CRPF, ITBP, KSRP and Karnataka police will be participating in the event.
Later, during the prize distribution ceremony, Dr Prabhu Halkatti monitored the Health pledge to all the participants stating that everyone would keep himself away from habbits that would lead to ill health and heart attack.
Maj General Alok Kakkar and other dignitaries accompanied by Dr Shashikant Kulgod, Dr Keerti Mane, Dr Girish Sonwalkar, Dr Hosalli from the Lakeview Foundation and Avinash Potdar, Anand Kulkarni, Avinash Potdar, D B Patil, Rajesh Talegaon and Vinay Balekai and others from Rotary Club were present for the prize distribution.
Highlights of the event:
· All the runners were present at the venue in time.
· Adhering to its motto plastic free Belagavi, all the runners did not litter plastic water bottles and carried them in their hands throughout the event.
· A team of students from the Maheshwari Blind School caught the attention of the participants.
· A visually impaired entrepreneur from Goa Sandeep Morajkar also participated in the marathon.
· All the 3500 participants were given medals and provided with breakfast and water.
· Members of Zippers Club , comprising of patients operated for heart ailments from Mumbai also took part in the event.
· The event was professionally managed by ‘You too can run’ group from Mumbai.
· Officials belonging to ITBP, State Reserve Police Force, city corporation, education department, Canara Bank, Hescom, etc also took part in the event.
1 thought on “Belagavi Half Marathon evokes great response”
Can you share the details of the winners and their respective times? Curious to see how the runners performed 🙂