The foundation stone of Military Mahadev Temple was laid on January 18, 1954. The temple was opened to public on January 24, 1955 by Lieutenant General S.M. Shrinagesh, General Officer and Commander-in-Chief Southern Command.
It has undergone renovations with a new dome built in the original style and carvings similar to those in other South Indian temples.
The temple remarkably clean and well-maintained. It is so called because of its long-standing use for worship by army personnel and of course, it was later thrown open to the public.
The mini zoo and the Shivteerth are added attractions to the Military Mahadev Temple.