belagavi news

lcds-Belagavi-news

Belagavi preparing report for CITIIS 2.0 for a 135 Crore grant

Photo of author

By uday

The Smart Cities Mission was launched in 2015, and Belagavi was one of the first 20 cities to be selected. The mission aimed to foster innovative practices in areas such as affordable housing, urban mobility, water, sanitation, renewable energy, and social services like health and education.

Now, the second phase of the CITIIS program, CITIIS 2.0, has been developed by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) in collaboration with the French Development Agency (AFD), Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW), the European Union (EU), and the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA). This program aims to complement the climate initiatives of the Government of India (GoI) and MoHUA through its unique model. Building upon the achievements of CITIIS 1.0, CITIIS 2.0 is designed to enhance MoHUA’s ongoing national programs by emphasizing innovation, inclusion, and sustainability.

CITIIS 2.0 will be implemented in 18 cities selected through a competition. The program aims to support projects that promote a circular economy, with a particular focus on integrated waste management at the city level, climate-oriented reform actions at the state level, and institutional strengthening and knowledge dissemination at the national level.

Belagavi is currently preparing to submit its proposal for the CITIIS 2.0 project. Solid waste management is likely to be given top priority if Belagavi is selected. The city currently accumulates over 250 tons of wet and dry garbage daily. This waste could be utilized to generate electricity or produce gas. Therefore, the proposal that Belagavi Municipal Corporation submits for solid waste management is of utmost importance. If Belagavi is chosen among the 18 cities, a budget of Rs 135 crore will be allocated for solid waste management in Belagavi. This allocation is expected to significantly alleviate the public’s concerns regarding the garbage problem.

All necessary preparations have already been completed, and the proposal will be submitted to the Center by January 15, 2024.

waste garbage

The program will span four years, from 2023 to 2027, and will be implemented in partnership with AFD, KfW, EU, and NIUA. During this phase, the 100 Smart City Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) under the Smart Cities Mission will be invited to submit applications, presenting innovative projects that promote a circular economy with a focus on integrated waste management. Through a competitive process, up to 18 Smart Cities will be selected to implement these projects in close coordination and collaboration with the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs).

Objectives of CITIIS 2.0

Foster climate-sensitive planning and action

Drive investments into urban climate action

Build institutional mechanisms, leverage partnerships and anchor capacity-building

The CITIIS grant amount for each project under Component 1 will be limited to 80% of the total project cost, up to INR 135 Crore. The remaining 20% of the total project cost will be obtained through own source funding by the State/Local Governments.

Leave a Comment